New GV Cyclone For Tailings Dam Applications
The MPE Cyclone Division has designed a new cyclone specifically for tailings dam applications. This cyclone is called the GV cyclone and it is currently available as a 220mm ID cyclone with a 20 degree cone angle.
Due to the expected harsh operating conditions at tailings dams, it was important that the cyclone satisfy the following criteria:
- Mass less than 45kg for ease of movement
- Withstand considerable pressure spikes during start-up
- Fast and tool-free method for spigot changes
To accommodate this strict design criteria, the Multotec GV cyclone is designed with:
- Steel rubberlined inlet head.
- Fibreglass cone fitted with a 15mm thick replaceable liner.
- The new light-weight quick release screw spigot coupling.
By incorporating these light-weight materials and modifying the design in very specific areas, the GV cyclone will still perform as expected. Additionally, the GV cyclone is rigid and has a mass of only 44.6 kg.