Multotec recognised by SANBS as top performing business

Multotec was recently recognised as a top performing business by the South African National Blood Service (SANBS) for our number of donations for 2019.

Our donations contribute to the wellbeing of the broader community. In South Africa, 3 000 units are collected daily and transported from collection centres to central processing laboratories to make various products from the blood.

Donated blood is taken through rigorous testing measures which accounts for 50% of the cost of a unit of blood. Storage done under stringent sterile conditions accounts for 25% of the cost. Therefore, 75% of the price charged for blood is to ensure that every patient that receives a blood product is provided with the safest, most reliable blood that is available.

A unit of blood can last up to twelve months and plasma for six months, but platelets are only kept for five days. Less than 5% of blood is used as whole blood (the way you donated it). By separating the other 95% into its components; red blood cells, platelets and plasma, the unit you donated can save up to 3 lives. Platelets can be used for a cancer patient, plasma to replace clotting factors in a trauma patient and red blood cells for patients who need surgery or suffer complications during childbirth. Donated blood is typically used up within 42 days after donation. For this reason, it is important for blood donors to donate regularly. Donors can give blood as often as every eight weeks.

Less than 1% of South Africans are active blood donors. Multotec is well ahead of that statistic – at least 4% of our Spartan staff are regular blood donors. We are very honoured by our SANBS recognition and endeavour to keep up this standard.
 

We use cookies to improve your experience on our website. By using our site you agree to Cookies Policy